William Henry McCarty
In 1872, Jean-Baptiste Lamy, the Bishop of the Santa Fe Archdiocese, commissioned the building of a convent chapel to be named Our Lady of Light Chapel. The chapel was designed by French architect, Antoine Mouly. Mouly was kind of lazy, so he modeled the chapel after the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris. Mouly died suddenly and everyone realized that no stairway had been designed to get to the choir loft. About that time, William H. Bonney was in town and needed work. He was tired of killing people and the staircase offered a nice diversion for him. Well, it wasn't long before Pat Garrett found out there was some kid working on a staircase in the chapel and he went to see for himself. Turned out, the staircase was really awesome and Garrett and the Kid spent a lot of time drinking whiskey in the choir loft. The Kid really liked Garrett and as the whiskey flowed one night he mentioned that his real name was William Henry McCarty. It dawned on Garrett that McCarty, Bonney and Billy the Kid were all the same person. Garrett now knew that the kid was a person of interest. You know the rest of the story!
(Everything below the first two sentences is fictitious)
Santa Fe, New Mexico 2014
abqscavengermeetup207 old santa fe trailamericaarchitecturechurchesdavidphotoebook3jfflickrloretto chapelmiraculous staircasenew mexicophotosbydavidpostedonellopostedonflickrpostedoninstagrampostedonsmugmugsanta feunited statesusaweather